During the summer term Primary 6 and 7 pupils are formally trained in The Cycling Proficiency
Scheme. The scheme teaches children:
- to ride a bicycle safely on public roads,
- the main rules of the road,
- how to negotiate junctions.
- to develop observation and manoeuvrability skills,
- the Highway Code for Young Road Users,
- the importance of cycle maintenance and hazard awareness,
- about the importance of being conspicuous and wearing protective headgear
Following training, each child receives a certificate and badge in recognition of their
Training consists of approximately 15 hours, run over the course of two weeks and follows the
principles of safe cycling.
The course includes the basics of off-road training and on-road training, progressing from quiet
roads to building confidence on busier roads.
Click on photos to enlarge