St John's Primary School (Kingsisland)
56 Reenaderry Road
Telephone No: (028) 8774 0689
Maintained Primary School
Enrolment Number: 191
Admissions Number: 27
PRINCIPAL: Philip O’Neill
CHAIR OF BOARD OF GOVERNORS:
Mrs Grainne Hughes
RESPECTIVE FUNCTIONS OF THE BOARD OF GOVERNORS AND PRINCIPAL IN RELATION TO ADMISSIONS
The Board of Governors draws up the admissions criteria and will have the responsibility for applying these criteria.
Parents wishing to view the school’s facilities or find out additional information about the school are most welcome to contact Mr O’Neill (Principal).
A guided tour of St John’s can be arranged, at a time and date that suits parents.
When considering which children should be selected for admission, the Board of Governors will only take into account information which is detailed on the application or provided directly to the school.
Parents should therefore ensure that all information pertaining to their child and relevant to the school’s admissions criteria is stated on the application or provided directly to the school.
Examples of such information include names of brothers and sisters in attendance.
During the admissions procedure when applying the criteria punctual applications will be considered before late applications are considered.
The application procedure opens in 7 January each year and an application submitted by the closing date will be treated as a punctual application. An application received after the closing date will be treated as a late application.
The Board of Governors will apply the following criteria to identify which children should be admitted either at initial admission to education or on transfer from another school.
- Children of compulsory school age.
- Children whose applications nominate St John’s Primary School as their first preference school, at the time of application.
- Children, who at the date of application, have a child of the family currently enrolled at the school (e.g. brothers and sisters, half-brothers/sisters, step brothers/sisters, including those fostered or adopted).
- Children whose parent/guardian, at the date of application, is a permanent member of the teaching/ancillary/auxiliary staff.
- Children whose brothers and sisters, half-brothers/sisters, step brothers/sisters, including those fostered or adopted, previously attended St John’s Primary School for at least one full academic year. Please provide names and dates attended on the application.
- The remaining places will be allocated on the basis of the proximity from the main entrance of the child’s home, at the time of application, (‘Home’ is defined as the child’s permanent place of residence, not the child-minder or other relative’s address), to the gates of St John’s Primary School, with priority being given to those living nearest to the school as measured by Google Maps UK Measure Distance Tool.
[This criterion will also be used to discriminate within any oversubscribed criterion (except criterion 1)].
DUTY TO VERIFY
The Board of Governors reserves the right to require such supplementary evidence as it may determine to support or verify information on any application.
If the requested evidence is not provided to the Board of Governors by the deadline given, this will result in the withdrawal of an offer of a place. Similarly, if information is supplied which appears to be false or misleading in any material way, the offer of a place will be withdrawn.
WAITING LIST POLICY
If there are more applications than places available the school will operate a Waiting List Policy as set out below;
Should a vacancy arise after this date, all applications for admission to the school that were initially refused, new applications, late applications and applications where new information has been provided, will be treated equally and the published criteria applied. This waiting list will be in place until the end of the academic year.
The school will contact you if your child gains a place in the school by this method. Your child’s name will be automatically added to the list. Please contact the school if you wish your child’s name to be removed from the list.
ADMISSION TO P2 – P7
Pupils will be admitted to P2-P7 in accordance with the preference of their parents provided their admission does not lead to the enrolment number being exceeded. In the event of over subscription the same admissions criteria will be applied as for admission to P1.